Mantelot’s lock on the Loire
Between 1838 and 1896, the lock of Mantelot allowed the boats following the canals coming from the south and heading towards Paris to cross the Loire at Châtillon-sur-Loire. Every year, thousands of boats threw themselves in the meandering tide of the river in order to join Briare’s canal on the other bank. In 1896, the opening of Briare’s canal Bridge put an end to these perilous crossings.
The lock of Mantelot is a conservation area classified as Historical Monument since 1978. The lockkeeper’s house houses “Le Relais de Mantelot” (bar, restaurant, B&B).